45,000 SF

  March 2001

services provided:
Conditions Analysis
Room by Room Survey
Historical Development
Architectural Development
Rehabilitation Recommendations
Preservation Maintenance Plan

Preservation Master Plan
Refugio, Texas

photo courtesy of Refugio County

Limbacher & Godfrey served as Historic Preservation Consultant and was co-author of the master plan.

The Refugio County Courthouse was constructed in 1917, designed by the San Antonio architectural firm Atlee B. Ayers Architect.  The unusual Prairie School style detailing, not often seen in Texas courthouses, may have been the work of George Willis, who left Chicago and the firm of Frank Lloyd Wright in 1910 to join Ayers in his San Antonio practice.  Much of the original detailing was removed in 1951, when a substantial addition was made to each side of the building to add jail and office spaces.

As part of the Texas Courthouse Preservation Project, a Historic Structures Report and Preservation Master Plan was prepared for the building.